Who We Are
The Anthem Energy Co-op is a private organization that is focused on creating positive change in Anthem. We’re doing this by developing/driving simple common sense initiatives that should deliver significant economic, social and environmental results over time. From an economic standpoint alone we have an opportunity to channel well over a billion dollars back into our community over the next 20 years. This could significantly improve the overall financial stability of the entire community.
Network Anthem Initiative
Our goal is to develop BI-DIRECTIONAL interactive network that encompasses every resident, business, public and private organization in Anthem.
This network will connect the entire Anthem community. Everyone will be able to network, promote, announce, organize, discuss ideas and poll/vote to a network of 30,000 - 40,000 people in Anthem. The Anthem Energy Co-op has created such a goup on LinkedIn and it's called "The Anthem Voice". (http://www.linkedin.com) LinkedIn is free and so is membership to the group. If we can get to the point where we have 40,000 people tied into one network there is no telling what we will be able to achieve. Ultimately, I believe this network will become a catalyst for future change and a fundamental building block for our communitiy’s future.
Energize Anthem Initiative: Free
Our goal is to create the largest most energy efficient solar community in the world.
This initiative is about empowering the people of Anthem. Each household in Anthem spends an average of $5,000 dollars a year on electricity and gasoline. As a community that amounts to between 60-70 million dollars per year. My message is simple, don't give your money away to monopolistic utilities and big oil companies. Invest that money in a solar system for your home and an electric or hybrid car. Over the long run 80% or more of that $5,000 will stay in your own pocket. Keep in mind that $5000 today could escalate quickly due to a rise in oil prices and utility rates. So this is a great way to hedge against rapidly increasing energy costs. This is also great for our community because ultimately this money will filter it's way back into our community. As a homeowner think about how you would spend that money. You pay off some bills, invest some and more than likely you'll spend some of that money at Fry's or Safeway, the outlets, Walmart or any number of businesses in Anthem.
How we keep that $5000 in our pockets
APS Energy Strategy- I put together an energy plan called the "APS energy strategy" it’s a bridge plan for everyone that doesn't have solar on their home yet. This strategy will allow you to save 40% this year on your APS bill. I created the strategy myself and personally saved $1100 last year. Click on the "APS Energy Strategy" tab above for details.
getting solar quotes for my own home one thing that occurred to me right
away was that it seemed enormously inefficient for every homeowner to do have to do
their own research and repeat the same process over and over again. So I did the research and I am sharing that information with the rest of the community. The installers that I recommend have been qualified and vetted by a board of Anthem residents. All of
their installation procedures, products, licenses, BBB rating and
references have been reviewed. Their pricing is competitive but more
importantly you will get quality products that are installed by local
companies that have a vested interest in doing quality work for the
people of Anthem. Once you join the co-op I will provide you our
installers information. This is a free service I offer to everyone in Anthem. Remember your
roof space is valuable real estate, occupying that space with a solar
system that produces revenue (electricity) is a smart move.
- Just because their a big green solar company doesn't mean they’re the best.
- The biggest mistake someone could make is to evaluate the installer on price alone.
- Some solar systems produce more electricity than others.
- The systems are going to be on your roof for 30-40 years getting the system installed properly is an important consideration.
- Some of them have a huge amount of overhead which increases their pricing.
- Some installers have offered predatory leasing in the past that offered very little savings for the consumer.
Cars- Adding an electric car is the perfect complement to a solar system. The electricity you harvest from the sun can power your home and car, it's a beautiful thing. The price of a gallon of gasoline is expected to reach $4 a gallon by the summer of 2012 so now is the time to consider an electric car. I am developing relationships with electric/hybrid car dealers as well as golf cart dealers. Every member of the co-op will have fleet or special pricing available to them on select vehicles. This will allow you to buy at a group discount with less hassle. More information on pricing will be available to you when you join the co-op.
Why Do This?
Our economy has been in a full on tail spin for over three years. While there is not much we can do about the U.S. economy we can have an impact on Anthem's micro economy. Our initiatives provide a rallying cry for this community to come together and create positive change. If you think things are fine the way they are consider this the next time you put gas in your car or pay your APS bill.
The U.S. consumes 20 million barrels of oil a day at an average of $87 a barrel. We import 14 million of those barrels every day. That's roughly 444 billion dollars a year that we spend on foreign oil. What happens when when the price of oil goes to $150 or $200 a barrel? Then we get into the trillions of dollars. This is unsustainable, we are putting our whole economy at risk by being dependent on this much foreign oil. As consumers we are the enablers. It's critical that we reduce our demand for oil.
- For us to do our part we all need figure out how to reduce our gasoline consumption by at least 2/3rds. You can do that by buying an electric or hybrid vehicle.
- Tax credits can reduce the cost of an electric vehicle by as much as $7500.
- Electric vehicles are also eligible for an HOV lane permit which will allow you the opportunity to drive in the HOV lane at any time of day. Consider an electric car first, if that won't work consider a hybrid.
- 1 electric car will save the average family 476 gallons per year (Nissan leaf 8 year 100,000 mile warranty on batteries, range 73-100 miles)
- @ $4 gal that's $1900 year x 8yrs = $15,200
- @ $5 gal that's $2380 year x 8yrs = $19,040
APS- Example; Average family pays APS $2000 per year.
Each household can save a bunch of money by making some very simple changes. Ultimately that money will filter it's way back into the Anthem community so getting the businesses in Anthem to support these initiatives should be a no brainer. I encourage everyone to open your mind and see the possibilities. We have the potential to make something truly special happen in Anthem.
- Option 1- Over the course of 30 years you will give APS $132,000 for electrical expenses with no possible return on investment (5% yearly increase included) As an added bonus they will find new ways to add to their already long list of fees, it's 17 and counting.
- Option 2- Invest in a solar system, we'll say $15,000 for an example, the system is paid off in approximately 6.5 years. By doing this you save $117,000 over 30 years (80% = $93,000) Now if you were to invest your savings what would the $15,000 solar system really worth to you?
Benefits Of Our Initiatives.
- A new marketing opportunity would be created, we would have a new way of pulling in prospective businesses and home buyers.
- Every member would have the ability to network and broadcast a message with anyone of the 30,000-40,000 people that live here (very powerful).
- By organizing and coming together as a large group we will be able to leverage that power to get discounts on a variety products and services.
- Small businesses in Anthem will be able to promote their product using this network for free.
- Financially, disposable income in the community would increase by as much as 60-70 million dollars per year.
- Spending at local businesses and restaurants would increase.
- Jobs would be created.
- If were successful we will create a blueprint for communities all over the world to follow.
- Ultimately we create a premier community that home buyers and business owners would gravitate towards.
CALL TO ACTION
How to support us and get invloved
- Join the Co-op and "The Anthem Voice" on LinkedIn.
- Support us by signing our guestbook and sharing your thoughts. This will help us create momentum.
- If you’re a person of influence and like our idea join the Co-op and sign our guestbook or write a nice letter like John McCain did.
- If you already have solar on
your home join the Co-op and share your story in our guestbook and with
your neighbors. Get engaged and be a part of this, no one wins if you
sit this one out.
In order to make this happen it's critical for the Anthem Energy Co-op to develop a partnership with every business in Anthem. These initiatives will eventually pump millions of dollars back into Anthem which will benefit your business.
- Join the co-op
- Being a part of "The Anthem Voice" will allow you new marketing opportunities that currently do not exist.
- Help us drive these initiatives by posting our Uncle Sam window sticker on you business door or close to it. If you are able to do more and have other ideas I am all ears.
- In return I will make sure your company name or logo is placed on this web page so that I can list your company as a sponsor of our initiatives.
- Help me help you.
What are the potential savings for the Anthem community
Based on 100% Participation
Implement " APS Energy Strategy"
$9,077,707.00 - 1 year savings
This will enable everyone with out solar a 40% savings on their electric bill this year and it won't cost a dime.
I did this and created a case study for everyone to follow on the "APS Energy Strategy" tab.
This does not create energy independence but its a good first step for anyone that does not have solar.
Energize Anthem Initiative
Integrate solar PV
$1,379,842,395.00 - 30 year savings
Based on 5% annual APS rate increase.
Save 80% on current electric bill
One Electric Vehicle per Anthem household
$159,616,646.00 - 7 years of fuel savings
$684,071,340.00 - 30 years of fuel savings One hybrid vehicle per Anthem household.
$79,808,323.00 - 7 years of fuel savings
$239,424,690.00 - 30 years of fuel savings
What To Do Next
Join the Anthem Energy Co-op and be a part of our Energize and Network Anthem initiatives. Become a part of something that is going to benefit the entire community.
Go to the APS Energy Strategy tab.
Click on the tab and simply
follow the plan I have laid out. It won't cost a dime and
could potentially save you over $1000 a year on your APS bill. This will
save you money right out of the gate and get you going in the right
Next read the Energy Savings Guide from Energy Business Reports. It will give you ideas, tips strategies you can use to become more energy efficient. The guide is packed with information and will help you develop your own custom energy plan.
We'll help you develop an energy plan and solar strategy. I
know going solar is a big step and a major investment for the majority
of people out there. The Anthem Energy Co-op can help you take that
Solar-I have done all of the leg work and research for you. I have
interviewed over 20 solar installers, put them through an extensive
request for proposal process, background check, and reference check.
I've had a qualified board of four Anthem residents review the
information and select the most qualified installers out of the group.
This takes a lot of the guess work out of the equation and ensures that
you're going to be working with the best of the best. I have focused on
locally owned companies. All four of our installers sell quality
products with different options and financing available. We’re trying to
give you everything you need to go solar and become energy independent.
Cars- We are in the process of developing programs with local car dealers
Check out the “Our services” page to see all of the residential
and commercial services the Co-op has to offer you.
Thanks, Troy Huntley
Anthem Energy Co-op
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the Anthem Energy Co-op sell or install solar products?
When can I get pricing for a system?
- No, we promote distributed solar technology because it creates energy independence. If we adopt solar as a community it could transform Anthem.
- Right now, sign up for the
co-op and I will introduce you to installers that have been vetted and
certified by the Anthem Energy Co-op board.
What if I have to sell my house a month after my solar panels are installed?
to the US Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Appraisal
Journal for every $1 in reduced yearly electrical costs your home’s
value is raised by $20. Now this may seem overly optimistic but recent
studies have shown the figures are not far off.
if you buy a 9kw solar system and it saves you $1800 a year in
electrical expenses your system should be worth approximately $36,000.
Currently a 9kw mid tier system is selling for less than half of that
amount after rebates and tax incentives. (See Solar Resources page)
you have to sell your house right after you install your solar system
you should be able to recoup your investment and then some.
Leasing vs. Buying
- If you can buy a system and tie it into a low interest mortgage that is the best option.
- I have seen
leases that are structured very aggressively and allow the homeowner a
low up front cost with the option to buy at the 20 year mark. One key advantage to these is your inverter(s) is covered for 20 years. They typically do not last that long with out having some sort of issue. If you had to replace after the warranty period it could be $5,000 or more so that's makes a lease a pretty good alternative but still not as good as owning.
Why you shouldn't wait to go solar.
are slowly coming down on panels but the incentives are diminishing at a
faster pace. Now is the time to take advantage of the utility rebates
and 30% federal tax credit. There is also a $1000 State tax credit
available. The utility rebate is already down to .75 cents per watt for
the 1st quarter of this year
What makes solar so compelling?
mid-tier solar systems will return your investment in just a few years
with the monthly and yearly savings you recieve on your APS bill.
- Install solar and lower your electrical bill by 80% (12 month avg).
- This is a guaranteed return on investment opportunity.
- Allows you to hedge against inflation and increasing energy prices.
- Increases your disposable income.
- Allows you to empower yourself and take advantage of a free energy resource.
I am considering solar but I'm not sure I can afford it.
great that your considering solar, if you can't make it happen right
now don't be discouraged. I believe there are more creative financing
programs on the way. Join the Co-op and I will keep you posted on any new
developments. Just hang in there and be patient.
What is the most important thing you need to know about solar?
A SOLAR SYSTEM WILL PAY FOR ITSELF. After
the system is paid for it turns in a cash machine on your roof that
pays you every month, every year for the next 30-40 years.